Thursday, October 11, 2007

Teacher on Two Wheels




I am completely amazed by my cousin Andrew's incredible trip.

The journey, which will take an estimated two years to complete, begins in New Jersey, USA. From NJ, Andrew is biking to Buenos Aires, Argentina. What?!? Yes. Biking to Argentina. Then, from there he plans to fly or sail to South Africa, where he will continue to bike north across the African continent, until he reaches Cairo, Egypt. His odyssey, which began this week, is being supported in part by a $3,500 fellowship Andrew received from Perseus Books, as well as by support from Schwalbe Tires.

Being a teacher, Andrew has established partnerships with schools in the USA. His plan is to connect students in the United States with new students he meets during his journey. Andrew's mission is to use the internet to link students in different countries and foster communication among them.

It's really something to embark on a journey like this. There are a million obvious reasons why many if not most of us would dismiss the idea of biking around the world, especially in developing countries. Assuming of course, we are so bold as to even entertain such a dream in the first place.

Aside from the results we will learn about as Andrew's journey unfolds, for me the lesson is that there are no dreams that are too big. I consider myself relatively adventurous and spontaneous, and I do tend to follow many of my dreams. I've traveled to places I wanted to visit, for example, even though it was not recommended by the U.S. State Department. I've also driven solo through Alaska in the winter in blustery snow storms. I've lived in other countries.

So, I'm familiar with adventures. But Andrew's trip sets a whole new bar, inspiring me to re-examine my dreams and to make sure they are as big as I would like them to be. Because ultimately, what is there to lose? Just the concept of Andrew's TeacherOnTwoWheels project challenges each of us to reach as high as possible. Dream. Plan extensively. Then start pedaling, one full cycle at a time - so that you give your dream a chance to grow. For his inspiring example of dreaming big, and for taking the first bold steps to pursue these dreams, Andrew and his TeacherOnTwoWheels project is already completely successful.

For more info on Andrew's adventure and to follow his journey, please visit TeacherOnTwoWheels.com.

No comments: